Tuesday, August 3, 2010

Community College Cafeteria

Written in response to ABC Wednesday's C prompt:

Photo by 76spread on Flickr

Community College Cafeteria
clears out at about three or four in the afternoon
reminding me somewhat of an airport gate
people wait
for something to arrive
or depart
Vending machines dispense cheap overpriced candy
to students eager for a sugar fix
to make it through the day
And I can't concentrate on anything
two papers due
not a single one started
Whose brilliant idea was it to take summer classes anyway?!
The cold air conditioning torments
but refuses to awaken me from my daze
another force of destruction working against me
I stare out the window
and the trees outside are waving their limbs
inviting me to join them
but I am stuck here
between table, chair, turkey and cheese sandwiches, my computer, old episodes of Smallvile, and a
Literature textbook with tomorrow's assigned reading still unread
And it will all remain as such
until eight o clock p.m.
when I am forced to go to History.

12 comments:

  1. I feel for you, but it has been a long time since I attended school. Very Clever and Creative C post today.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my, good luck and I hope the hours stretch for you so everything can be done.
    Very accurate description of the Cafeteria and the whole angst issue.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great choice for the C Day! Looks like a great cafeteria! Terrific photo for day! Enjoy the rest of your week!

    Sylvia

    ReplyDelete
  4. I remember the cafeteria at Biola College years ago.... nothing pretty like the one in your picture.

    As I remember, the food wasn't very good either.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, dear, you've totally captured my end of semester anxiety!
    ROG, ABC Wednesday team

    ReplyDelete
  6. Going to school during the summer? Wow, I salute you!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Looks a little cool and empty !
    Gattina from the ABC Team

    ReplyDelete
  8. Cool & Empty.. ya.. thats true.. colossal of sorts too :D

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh, that's a place I'm happy to not be. :) Your words are wonderful...

    ReplyDelete
  10. You capture a lifetime ago I do not even understand why I look back it fondly lol. Well done Robin. I really enjoyed the images...god I remember those days all to well. Did you ever make it to History clas?

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hope you make all A's with school...love your C prompt...i can feel your pain...

    ReplyDelete
  12. I can feel the place, feel your feelings! Good writing Robin. :-)

    ReplyDelete